Oso FLaco and Santa Maria River Mouth, 8/11

Bill Bouton <wbouton@...>

Hi All,

This morning, Friday 8/11, at Oso Flaco Lake, the willows were extremely quiet, with nearly no passerines to be seen. At the lake itself, the only birds of note were one female REDHEAD and one juvenile LEAST TERN.

I birded the Santa Maria River Mouth, from about 09:00 to 10:30.

There was abundant good habitat: sand flats, mud flats, wet herbaceous vegetation, dry grass/herbs and open water. I think the river will need to break through soon, though, or the area will become completely inundated.

While I was there, the birds were harassed by NO Peregrine Falcons (yea)!

I saw no unexpected species. Species list at end of this post.

Cheers,

Bill Bouton
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA 93401
wbouton@...

At SM River Mouth:

Cinnamon Teal - 8
Northern Shoveler - 6
Gadwall - 15
Black-bellied Plover - 36
Snowy Plover - 6 feeding down on the mud flats
Semipalmated Plover - 10
Killdeer - 5
Black-necked Stilt - 4
American Avocet - 2
Greater Yellowlegs - 3
Willet - 12
Long-billed Curlew - 8
Marbled Godwit - 4
Sanderling - 10
Western Sandpiper - 500
Least Sandpiper - 200
Dowitcher sp. - 40-50 (those I heard call were Short-billed)
Red-necked Phalarope - 17
Caspian Tern - 3
plus assorted gulls and pelicans