sea birds and whales

Dave Compton <davcompton@...>

A group of us went on a blue whale trip on the channel out of Santa Barbara
yesterday (August 15). We thought you all might want to know what we saw.
The boat took us southwest to the area north of the Santa Rosa passage,
where we saw 6 or 7 BLUES WHALES, including great views of a mother and
calf, but little else. We then motored east to Painted Cave, before
returning northeast across the channel. If anyone out there goes out into
the channel, especially from July to October, I'd appreciate hearing about
what you see.

Here's the list:

Northern Fulmar - 1 (rare in summer in the channel)
Pink-footed Shearwater - ~125
Sooty Shearwater - ~250
Black-vented Shearwater - 4 (early fall arrivals)
Ashy Storm-petrel - 3
Black Storm-petrel - 4
Osprey - 1 (in the Santa Barbara harbor)
Black Oystercatcher - 2 (near the mouth to Painted Cave)
Wandering Tattler - 1 (at the harbor sandspit)
Red-necked Phalarope - 25
Red Phalarope - 2
Pomarine Jaeger - 3
Jaeger Sp. - 3
Sabine's Gull - 1
Pigeon Guillemot - 5
Cassin's Auklet - 1
Rhinoceros Auklet - 1
Hummingbird sp - 1 (several miles south of the west end of Santa Cruz,
making a bee-line for land)

All for now