Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Peter Gaede

Hi all:

I visited a row of pine trees on Hwy 192 in Carpinteria on Friday evening (12/18) and found a male YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER. Unfortunately, the bird did not show yesterday for the CBC, but our group, including Niels Johnson-Lameijer, Jan Oetinger, and Daniel Gant, found a Mountain Chickadee there instead. A somewhat territorial Red-breasted Sapsucker was also present, and may have been responsible for the absence of the Yellow-bellied, but the row seems to be productive and have a high turnover of birds. These trees are located . 3 miles west of Hwy 150, and the area is best birded from the shoulder of the road. Be aware of occasional traffic suddenly appearing around a sharp curve, as well as private property and a residence behind the trees. There are also a few small pepper trees under the pines, making an ideal situation for sapsuckers.

At the Carpinteria Salt Marsh yesterday morning, our group recorded a stunning male MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD, providing a first record for the reserve, and a nice addition to the day's tally.

Peter Gaede