From: sbcobirding@... [mailto:sbcobirding@...] On Behalf Of Noah
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:05 PM
To: sbcobirding@...
Subject: [sbcobirding] South Coast (lack of) Migrants

9/16/10

Today, I took advantage of a half day at work and birded many spots along the south coast in the afternoon. As Hugh notes, migrants are few and far between.

Gaviota: About 7 YELLOW WARBLER, 1 WESTERN TANAGER, 1 WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, several COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, 1 orestera ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 3 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS, 2 selasphorus hummingbirds, and 2 BLACK-NECKED STILTS. A LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE was interesting. I don't know if it is a resident, migrant or wintering bird. The RUFOUS-CROWNED WARBLERS are pretty easy to find at the start of the road down to the fennel.

Refugio: 3 YELLOW WARBLER, 1 WILSON'S WARBLER.

El Cap: 1 WILLOW FLYCATCHER

The vulture roost near the Bacara did NOT have a black vulture but birds were still flying in when I left.

Winchester Canyon: A mixed flock of kids, soccer balls, and barking dogs.

Ellwood Mesa: an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and a bunch of selasphorus hummingbirds at the Car Wash.

Earlier in the week, I checked:

Berkeley Bike Bridge: Like Hugh, turned up a few TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS.

Atascadero Creek near Patterson: 3 YELLOW WARBLER, 1 WILSON'S WARBLER, 1 WARBLING VIREO.

Atascadero Creek at Walnut: nada.

Hopefully we get a push of birds soon.

Noah Gaines
Santa Barbara, CA