Indigo Bunting

Peter Gaede

Hi S.B. Birders --

Today I visited Preisker Park in northern Santa Maria briefly around noon. I wasn't able to relocate Jamie's Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that he found on 28 October, but the park looks good for sapsuckers in general, and includes a nice combination of pine and pepper trees. I did see a HERMIT WARBLER along the western edge of the park.

On my way back to the south coast, I stopped by Vista Point along Highway 101 (the rest stop on the south side of Highway 101 between Refugio State Beach and Arroyo Hondo), and while I was walking from the parking area over the hill to the railroad tracks to set up for a seawatch, a male INDIGO BUNTING perched up in the chaparral just upslope of the tracks. The bird was similar-looking to that of a non-breeding male illustrated by Sibley, with splotches of blue on the head and face extending down to the breast and belly, with a whitish throat and no wingbars. The seawatch after produced nothing of interest.

Peter Gaede