Carpinteria Wilson's Plover

Peter Gaede

Hi All:

The WILSON'S PLOVER that was found July 23 at the Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve in Santa Barbara County, continues at this location. Larry Ballard, Nick Lethaby and I saw the bird this afternoon. It has spent most of its time this past week just inside the estuary mouth on a sand and gravel bar, often associating/roosting with Black-bellied, Semipalmated and Snowy plovers. On at least one occasion this past week, a prey capture was observed on a small Lined shore crab (Pachygrapsus crassipes). The bird is heavily worn, but has been seen making short flights around the sand bar. At high tide, this favored area is inundated with water and the bird must go elsewhere, but it is not clear exactly where the bird goes during this time.

The Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve is not open to the public, however, visits can be arranged in advance. Feel free to e-mail me off-list.

Peter Gaede
Santa Barbara, CA