San Jose Creek empid

Peter Gaede

Birders --

I saw an Empidonax flycatcher today at the end of Armitos Ave on San Jose Creek. The looks I had were too brief to make any type of call on this bird. Although I have an initial impression of what the bird could be, I've learned that first impressions with this group of flycatchers doesn't always mean too much, and I would like better views of multiple fieldmarks to say anything at this point. My view was a quick one from below, and the first thing I looked at was the bill, which was at least partly dark. I can say that it was NOT a "Western," Willow, or Gray. No calls were heard.

If anyone would like to look for the bird, take the Hollister exit off Hwy 217 and go west, then take a quick right on Dearborn. Turn left on Armitos a go a short distance to the dead end. The bird was seen in the willows over the creek almost directly in from the dead end.

A Wilson's Warbler was also seen here, possibly the same one found by Dave Compton at this location a couple of weeks ago.

Peter Gaede