Goleta Beach 4/30

Rebecca Coulter

During this morning's birding class at Goleta Beach, we counted at least 20 Double-crested Cormorant nests, 1 Great Egret and probably 4 Great Blue Heron nests. It seems that there are quite a few more cormorant nests this year than in recent years. We also watched a pair of Belted Kingfishers come and go from a nest hole in the bank opposite the east end of the parking lot. Very little seabird migration seen, with only one Red-throated Loon resting east of the pier. But the large number of Caspian Terns (14), 4 Royals, and a flyby flock of 12 Elegants made up for it. Also notable were 3 Whimbrel, 1 Long-billed Curlew, 3 Greater Yellowlegs, a handful of Willets, and not a single Black-necked Stilt.

Rebecca Coulter