Purple Martins

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,

I had only a couple of hours to bird today. Yes, I had to be responsible
today. Anyway, I made the short circuit around the Alisal and Nojoqui Park.
At the south end of the Alisal Guest Ranch at the rodeo grounds I counted a
minimum of 16 Purple Matins and at Nojoqui Park I counted or saw at least 8
Purple Martins, this was around noon, not the best time to be counting
Purple Martins. This seems to be a pretty good year for them with martins
being seen in former nesting areas of SLO County and San Diego having a few
birds prospecting nest site in the Kitchen Creek area, that is way cool. The
Central Valley seems to be reporting more marins than normal and more wide
spread also.

The north side of the Santa Ynez Mountains has just been going off with
western migrants. I could make a long list of the birds I just heard today
singing, but that would take longer than I wish to type. If you are wanting
to hone your western bird song skills, I recommend birding on Refugio Road,
yes the Santa Ynez side or the Alisal Road and up near Nojoqui. It is full
of singing birds and they are easy to see for confirmation.

Good birding.

Wes Fritz

(805)895-0685

wes-fritz@...