Re: County Bird List Update & Sage Sparrow Difficulties

Jamie Chavez

In the link Mike provided there is a series of photos by Robert Royse who
probably just updated his photo site based on the new split. His photos of
all three "Sage" Sparrows - Sagebrush, Bell's and intermediate Bell's
canescens are among the best I've seen on the net in the past week or so
because he has them all grouped together in one spot for comparison. This
will show you the obvious and subtle differences between them. Here is the
link to Mr. Royse's photos, just click the individual links to see the
different types:

http://www.roysephotos.com/SageSparrow.html

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Michael D. Stiles <mstiles@...>wrote:

**

Thanks Jamie for the write-up about the Sage Sparrow split. I came across
this today regarding vocalizations of the group:

http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/3040

The two species may be separable by song, but the subspecies nevadensis
and canescens are not only intermediate in plumage, but in song also.

Mike Stiles
Los Osos