SB backcountry

Mike Stiles

Nick Todd and I spent four days between Cachuma Saddle and Mission Pine Springs area.The highlight was a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE seen at McKinley Saddle. In the pines east of San Rafael Peak we had WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER and many MT CHICKADEES, PYGMY NUTHATCHES, RB NUTHATCHES. We had at least 3 PYGMY OWLS, one well seen and others responding well to my whistled imitation.

We were wondering if the Zaca fire's burned pines had helped woodpecker numbers. We had many Hairy Woodpeckers and Northern Flickers along with Acorn, Nuttall 's, and the WHWO.

Interestingly, we had about 50 Yellow-rumpled Warblers in a single flock in a small shady canyon, one singing Black-throated Gray Warbler, and the kinglets were singing.

Mike Stiles
Los Osos