Big Day update #bigday

Dave Compton <davcompton@...>

For those who are interested, the official tally for the
Holmgren-Kelly-Weyburne-Compton big day yesterday is 161. Not bad
considering there was little migration, and we busted on mountain birds.

To give an idea of the possibilities this time of year, here are some of our
notable misses:

Black-Crowned Night-Heron
Canada Goose
Cooper's Hawk
Wild Turkey
Surfibird
Black Turnstone
Red-necked Phalarope
Greater Roadrunner
Barn Owl (we kind of tired out at the end)
Northern Pygmy-Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Horned Lark
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Hermit Warbler
Grasshopper Sparrow
Pine Siskin (lots had been around the week before)

Of course, there WERE some surprises. If we hadn't discovered that big wet
area off highway 1 south of Guadalupe, we would've had three fewer species.