Weekend birding notes

Florence Sanchez <sanchez@...>

On Saturday morning, I birded Farren Road from 7:15 to 9:15 a.m. It was
a sunny morning with little wind. Among species of note were Hooded and
Bullocks Orioles, Ash-throated Flycatcher (at least one pair, possibly
two, with one pair nest-building), Western Tanagers, five species of
swallow (90% Cliff), Lark Sparrow, American Goldfinch (one with
Lessers), and a host of chaparral birds. I had one pair plus 1 male
Blue Grosbeak, but only two Lazuli Buntings. This is a low number for
this location. Absent completely were the Cassin's Kingbirds that were
nesting in the eucalyptus trees in March. Did they move one after the
young were fledged, I wonder? Also absent, Grasshopper Sparrow, which
is usually very reliable at this location. I could not confirm the
presence of a Costa's hummingbird either, though a couple of small
hummers were suspicious. All in all, the habitat there has not changed
much from previous years, but the number of species and individuals of
migrants is certainly down this year.

On Sunday, I birded Rincon Creek at Bates Road from 7:30-9:00 a.m. As
usual, this place was a hive of bird activity and sound. Much evidence
of nesting, and several species were feeding young or carrying food to
nests. Species of interest include both Bullock's and Hooded Orioles,
Yellow Warbler (1 pair), Wilson's Warbler (two males squabbling over
territory), Orange-crowned warbler (feedling fledglings), Warbling
Vireos, Pacific Slope Flycatcher, Western Wood Pewee, Casin's Kingbird
(high on the hill), and two Olive-sided Flyctchers. Also Black-headed
Grosbeaks, Robins, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Purple Finch, and many
common species. Absent: Yellow Breasted Chat, Swainson's Thrush,
Phainopepla, all of which are pretty reliable at this location. No sing
(or sound) of a Northern Parula, which was really my target species for
the day.