postbreeders and misc.

jcwings@pronet.net <jcwings@...>

Hello,

First of all, it might be time for an update on the sbcobirding group.
There are now 45 subscribers to this listserve in just about two weeks
time. Thank you for your interest and participation. This should get
even more exciting as fall migration rolls around. If you know of
someone that might be interested in subscribing, please refer them to
the web site address (found at the bottom of the page) or send their
email address to me and I will forward the auto invitation to them. Also
wanted are addresses for people that might contribute sightings from the
Channel Islands. We may not make it out there but it would be nice to
hear about what is being found on the islands. Please help me to keep
this group growing in size so we can all benefit from it.

A reminder, I intentionally set this up so "Reply To" messages would be
sent to the entire group (see the welcome message in the archive).
especially when a question is posed, or someone is seeking information,
and everyone else is wondering what the answer might be. A private
response would not provide this to the rest of the group. If you wish to
reply to the originator of the message, send it to their private email
address. Rebecca's reply to a posted message was of interest to the
group (I thought) and adds to the information that we can receive from
this list group. However, I can change the settings so "Reply To"
messages are not seen by the group. Let me know your opinions about that
if you have any.

Secondly, there is obvious post breeding bird movement going on.
Preisker Park in Santa Maria today had a few Yellow Warblers,
Pacific-slope Flycatchers, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Hooded and Bullock's
Orioles, and a Western Tanager. This park is a good migrant trap but
does not support these birds as breeders. Also, there is absolutely no
sign of the "mystery grackle" that gave everyone fits in early summer. I
have not seen it during several lunch hour visits now. For those that
didn't get to see it, go to Joe Morlan's web site where there are a few
pictures of it and comments from experts on its identity. A great web
site for many reasons. Go to the California Birding and Mystery Photos
links. I concede the point that it is not a Common Grackle but a hybrid
Great-tailed Grackle X Brewer's Blackbird as many suspected (perhaps the
first ever seen). It had me fooled, but it was fun while it lasted! I've
learned a lot because of that experience. Good birding.

http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/

Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria
jcwings@...