bird news from Oak Park

Phila Rogers

Dear Birders:

I live on the slope above Oak Park where a flock of Pine Siskens continue to visit my seed feeders.  The bright male Lesser Goldfinch with the deformed beak which I reported last fall is back, looking healthy in spite of a very long, pointed lower mandible.  Yesterday I heard a migrating Western Tanager and since I hung my suet feeder on Friday, the suet has attracted an Acorn Woodpecker and a bright male Black-headed Grosbeak.  I can no longer use my tray seeder because within minutes, the seed is devoured by a flock of Band-tailed Pigeons numbering over 30 birds.

Phila Rogers