UCSB area birding

Dave Compton

This morning, I found a couple of very minor winter rarities at UCSB. An adult male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, possibly a returning bird, was in a coral tree neat the northeast corner of the student health building. A Nashville Warbler was in a tree just north of Lot 25, which is on the north side of the student health building.

I birded the lagoon only from the west end. A handful of SCAUP were in this area, at least two of which were GREATER. There were probably more. The only other bird I saw on campus that was remotely notable was a very noisy Peregrine Falcon hanging around the Storke Tower.

Nearby, at Area A of Goleta Slough (airport property), there were still many ducks around. Most interesting were the continuing male CINNAMON TEAL X NORTHERN SHOVELER and 28 (approximate count) BLUE-WINGED TEAL. This is almost certainly the greatest concentration of Blue-winged Teal I've seen in the county. In fact, it may be a winter record high.

Here are my waterfowl totals for Basin A today:

Canada Goose - 29
Gadwall - 35
American Wigeon - 70
Mallard - 195