Re: Possible Red-naped Sapsucker at LLC

Dave Compton

Hi Gage,

This sounds very much like a hatch-year Red-naped. I know the species was reported there, but I don't know what age or sex it's supposed to be.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM sbgager@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@...> wrote:

After having no success in finding the Prairie warbler this
morning at Lake Los Carneros, I decided to check the pittosporum tree NW of Stow House for
sapsuckers, orioles and tanagers. Result: two Bullock’s orioles, a red-breasted
sapsucker, and a possible red-naped sapsucker that, because it did not have the
black breast band below the red throat, made me suspect it could be a young
male or perhaps a hybrid. This bird showed thin black nape band between red
crown and touch of red on nape; solidly red chin and throat; red did not extend
below throat; very clean division between red on throat and pale, slightly flecked
breast; red of throat encroached onto black malar stripe; two black-and-white-flecked
longitudinal bands down the back. My observation of the bird ended when a
red-breasted sapsucker, followed by an acorn woodpecker, chased the bird away.

Yesterday in the same area I also saw a western tanager.

Gage Ricard