High white pelican numbers

Dave Compton

This morning, I counted 134 American White Pelicans in the western part of Lake Cachuma, which as far as I know is the highest total ever recorded in the county. I also saw 2 subadult Bald Eagles in this area. Others saw 2 adults east of the marina somewhere.

Besides the pelicans, the most prevalent species were Aechmophorus grebes, coots, and American Wigeons. Rock Wrens continue to occupy the abundant rocky areas exposed by the low lake levels (the lake is still at only about 9% of capacity). They are one species that has really benefited from the drought.