Re: Golden Plover

Dave Compton

Not sure if Nick is planning to post more about this bird. I saw it with him, Nancy States, and Nina Bliss 20 minutes or so after he found it. The bird is interesting because, to me, its plumage (though very dull) appeared consistent with the expected Pacific Golden-Plover, but four primary tips were consistently visible beyond the tertials, as expected in American Golden-Plover, which is not at all likely at this time of year.

Unfortunately, the bird was too far for good photos, at least with my digiscoping setup. Hopefully, someone else will get good photos. Incidentally, it occurred to me later than I didn't get a look at the primary projection beyond the tertials from the right side of the bird. My good profile looks were always of the left side. It would be good to see the right side, to confirm that the primary projection looks the same from that side. Maybe Nick saw this before I arrived. I've seen at least one Pacific with a missing tertial, so that more primary tips projected beyond the tertials than otherwise would have.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Nick Lethaby nlethaby@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@...> wrote:

There was a golden plver in the shorebird roost at Devereux around 11 am today