Re: "American" Oystercatcher Report

Wim van Dam

A conservative but entertaining blog post about what it takes for an Oystercatcher at the central coast to be a pure American (frazari) one, can be found here:

It has several good photos about the details we have to check before jumping the gun.

I agree with David and Jamie that yesterday's bird looks like a solid hybrid.

Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
---
SBCO #375: Gray Catbird

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Dave Compton davcompton60@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@...> wrote:

I agree that, based on these photos, this bird would likely fall into the hybrid category. Still a rare find for our mainland coast.

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 6:10 AM Jamie Chavez almiyi@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

For those who don't receive the eBird Rare Bird Alert, yesterday an "American Oystercatcher" was reportedly seen on the rocks below the Carpinteria Bluffs Trail near the Tar Pit Pak parking lot. The photos aren't clear enough to use the Jehl scale completely, but I see a lot of black on the bird in the checklist photo which makes me think hybrid. I wanted to pass this along in case someone wanted to look for it and try to obtain better photos.

--
Jamie M. Chavez
Santa Maria, CA