Re: Palm Warbler this morning at Greenwell Preserve

John Callender

(Cc:ing the list in case others are interested.)

I parked in the small parking area just north of where Greenwell Avenue turns sharply. Here's a map:

There's a little more detail in my ebird list:

I'd never birded there before. But I've been "flying" around the Carpinteria CBC circle in Google Earth looking for places to scout. I found an article by Ray Ford from a few years ago talking about the whole trail complex that runs through there; I plan to spend some more time in the next few months checking it out.

Some of the best birding was right around the parking area. I got there just as the sun was hitting it, and had that experience of getting out of the car and not even raising my binoculars for several minutes because I was so busy entering everything I was hearing in my ebird list. :-)

After that I walked up the part of Greenwell Avenue that parallels the coastline for about half a mile; there are willows on the south side of the road. That's where I almost got run over by several deer barreling down the hillside.

Then I returned to the parking area, which is where I saw the Palm Warbler. Then I hiked up the horse trail that leads northwest from the north end of the parking area. I hiked in about 3/4 of a mile and back; lots of willows and live oak. I saw the MacGillivray's Warbler about 1/4 mile from the trailhead on my way back.

John

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM Joan Lentz <joanlentz@...> wrote:
Hi John:  I’ve often wondered if that area was worth birding.  Were you at the end of the road where it turns sharply?  Where exactly is the “Preserve” part located?  Do you walk along the horse trail?  I would be interested to know.  I’ve tried birding there before with no luck, I mean no rarities…..
Thanks,
Joan
On Oct 15, 2017, at 9:57 AM, John Callender jbc@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@...> wrote:

I had lots of birds this morning at the Greenwell Preserve in Summerland, including a Palm Warbler in the parking lot and a MacGillivray's Warbler on the trail.