Orchard Oriole at Santa Monica Creek continues, now with bonus RB Grosbeak

John Callender

This morning I had good views of the continuing adult male Orchard Oriole at the Santa Monica Creek bike path in Carpinteria. It was feeding in plain view atop the row of Cape honeysuckle where it had been seen previously. As I was watching it a bird flew out of the same area and into a eucalyptus on the east side of the bike path; after studying it for a bit I believe it was a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak. The dark brown streaking on its white chest was a good match for the Sibley illustration; unfortunately I didn't get photos.

All told, it was an exciting couple of minutes. :-)

John