Possible hybrid grebe

Hugh Ranson

On Monday I photographed a grebe at the Santa Barbara Harbor that I think might
be a hybrid between Western and Clark's. Some features were intermediate
between the two species. The bill was quite yellow--not orange as in Clark's or
yellowy green as in Western,-- and the dark on the face stopped at the eye. On a
typical Western the dark extends below the eye. The culmen was dark, as in
Western. In researching hybrids online, I found that they are not particularly
rare as a small percentage of the Aechmophorous grebe species do interbreed.
Comments welcomed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159344319@N03/?

Hugh Ranson