Harbor Area This Morning

Glenn Kincaid

This morning I explored the Breakwater, Sea Landing, and Leadbetter Beach areas, under smoky skies.

Nothing extremely notable in terms of species.  In the harbor, very few ducks, scoters, and grebes, though there was 1 Red-breasted Merganser and a Pelagic Cormorant.

A Belted Kingfisher was present on the breakwater.  It caught a small flatfish, which it took to a nearby boat and proceeded to beat the thing to death on the railing.

A couple of Great Blue Herons were on the dock, they proceeded to get into what appeared to be a fight (could be mating behavior, often hard for me to tell the difference), with one completely submerging the other while they went at it in the water.

Photos included in this checklist:

Later, at Leadbetter beach there was a nice feeding frenzy with a decent crowd of Pelicans, Cormorants, Gulls, and a few Loons (all 3 expected species represented).  15-20 Mew Gulls, and a couple of young Heermann’s Gulls included.  A good variety of shorebirds on the beach, though nothing unusual.  Zero other humans on the beach.

Glenn Kincaid