Birding Refugio this a.m.

Joan Lentz (cox.net address)

Hi All:
Libby Patten and I had to get away from the smoke and ash, and Refugio was way better than Montecito, although still smoky. We parked at the base of the canyon at the freeway offramp & walked up past the second crossing, then walked down to the state beach for a quick stop. We looked in vain for the sapsucker reported in this area earlier. Best bird was a BROWN CREEPER in the oaks just north of the first creek crossing.
At Refugio State Beach, we had a BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER and a NASHVILLE WARBLER — too bad they aren’t in any CBC circle.

Good birding!
Joan Lentz