Re: Cachuma Christmas Bird Count - Preliminary Report

Glenn Kincaid

One bird we forgot about, but will not change the total, is THE SWAN that is present at the 154 bridge over the Santa Ynez River.

Glenn Kincaid
SB

On Dec 27, 2017, at 11:03 PM, peterschneekloth@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@...> wrote:

A very brief preliminary report of the Cachuma CBC results is as follows.

We ended the compilation dinner with a reasonably good total count of 148 species  (up from 140 last year) and added two more during an after dinner owling venture for a preliminary total of 150 species.

Some birds of note were Sage Thrasher, Vermilion Flycatcher, Western Sandpiper, Canvasback and Tricolored Blackbirds. We also managed 7 Owl species.

Disappointing misses included Common Goldeneye, Common Loon, Lesser Scaup, Pygmy Nuthatch, Horned Lark as well as Wood Duck and Canyon Wren which had been seen during scouting.

Other items of note were an intergrade between Red-shafted and Yellow-shafted Flicker, a Yellow-shafted Flicker and as previously reported 2 Black-headed Grosbeaks just outside the circl e.

I assume birders and or group leaders will post more detail on how their particular section of the count went.

In all a successful count. Thanks to Kate McCurdy and Sedgewick Preserve for hosting our dinner (and Sage Thrasher), Cruz Phillips for the chili and arranging access to many good birding locales, Alex Abela for continuing as the formal compiler for the count and the many businesses and land owners that allow us access for the count. Ultimately the results come from the efforts of some dedicated, knowledgeable and very hard working birders, you all added something to the count today!

We will provide a final summary once our data is completely compiled.

Cachuma CBC Crew