Possible continuing Pacific Wren at Bates Road

John Callender

I tried for the continuing Pacific Wren at Bates Road (on the border between Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties) today at lunchtime. I got a very brief naked-eye glimpse of a small, dark bird flitting through the underbrush on the Santa Barbara side of the creek. The view wasn't enough to ID it, but the recording I made of it calling seems like a good match for Pacific Wren based on the examples at:

https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Troglodytes-pacificus.

The audio I recorded is attached to a "passerine sp." listing in this eBird checklist:

I plan to try again over the next few days; I'll follow up if I get confirmation.

John Callender