Re: Very early Bank Swallow

Dave Compton

So, a little more context for this observation. Not sure if this species showed up earlier when it still bred in the region. But this is easily the earliest record for the county since the mid-20th century. Paul Lehman cites records as early as 27 March (2006). So we're talking more than two weeks earlier than previous early records. I watched this bird for a long time, so the ID isn't based on quick looks, but on many looks, some reasonably close, although the bird often was on the far side of the slough. Several others made it out to see the bird while I was there.

Not much else of interest here today. The Great Blue Herons have two active nests again. Still lots of American Wigeons and Northern Shovelers, and good numbers of Gadwalls and Mallards, but duck diversity is down. There were a few Black-bellied Plovers and some dowitchers, but the water is too high to provide good shorebird habitat. At one point, there were more than 50 gulls stopping in at the upper slough, but nothing rare.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
Severa birders are watching a very early Bank Swallow at Devereux Slough in Goleta, in a mixed group of swallows. It’s toward the south end of the Slough.