Bird-friendly ornamental fountain design?

John Callender

A bit off-topic; apologies. Someone with the Carpinteria Beautiful organization contacted me recently for advice; they are consulting with the City of Carpinteria on the addition of an ornamental fountain for the new community garden facility near the Carpinteria train station. They want to pick a fountain design that will be attractive to birds.

I have a vague sense of what makes a fountain suitable as a bird bath (it should feature a gentle slope and relatively shallow water, and dripping seems to help get their attention), but beyond that I'm not very knowledgable. Is there someone on this list who knows more, or who knows someone who knows more, and who would be willing to come out and meet with them at the site for a few minutes to help them evaluate their options?

Thanks!

John Callender