Goleta stuff of minor note

Dave Compton

I birded around Goleta today, focusing on land birds at San Jose Creek, then shifting to Devereux Slough. There was a nice movement of birds on San Jose Creek north of Cathedral Oaks. Wilson's and Townsend's Warblers were present in good numbers, and I saw small numbers of other expected migrants. Most interesting was a CASSIN'S VIREO in a location where I saw one two weeks ago. I assumed the previous time that this was a migrant, but seeing one again two weeks later raises the possibility that I am seeing a wintering bird that was previously missed.

At Devereux, water is pretty low, but there are still reasonable numbers of birds. A male GREATER SCAUP is still hanging around.