Sunday south coast birds

Dave Compton

At about 8:45am, the NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH was vocalizing and perching in willows and the previously described Pittosporum at the extreme eastern corner of the Bird Refuge, more or less due east of the parking lot and near Cabrillo Blvd. I heard it calling from willows, then spotted it perching in a willow, then flying to the tall Pittosporum, where it continued to give its characteristic "chink" call. Incidentally, I think it's reasonable to believe this bird wintered locally. Migrants are just beginning to show up in most places in the east, and records of spring migrants on the west coast are later.

After seeing the waterthrush, I visited Lake Los Carneros, where a number of birders both local and from elsewhere in the state (including the younger Alex Abela, former Santa Barbara area resident) got great looks at the FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCK. The only other bird of even minor note was a male BLUE-WINGED TEAL, a little west of where the Fulvous hangs out.

Curtis Marantz and Matt Grube reported that they saw the continuing ORCHARD ORIOLE along Santa Monica Creek in Carpinteria, in a big sycamore opposite El Carro St. Later, they saw the LITTLE BLUE HERON while looking east from the new bridge at the Goleta Beach Park entrance.