Re: birding today Sunday and last week

Dave Compton

A little more information that might be relevant to whether this duck is wild (taken only from eBird, so other sources may have more information):

So far this year, the Goleta bird is the only reported Fulvous-Whistling Duck in eBird in Arizona or California. The nearest report of one in eBird in 2018 so far is from central Chihuahua. There may have been an incursion of the species northward back in August 2017, when a group of 5 birds showed up in the Phoenix area and several more were reported near Hermosillo in Sonora, northwestern Mexico. Maybe there were others out there, too, that didn't make it to eBird.

I don't know if this bird is wild or not, and I'm not on the CBRC, so don't have a vote on the matter. But for a species like this, other reports in the region at the time are as relevant as any other information. And, no, I'm not saying the lack of recent, nearby records proves anything. It's just more context that should be considered.

As a comparison with the December 2005 bird at the Goleta Sanitary District plant, that bird DID show up when others were being seen in California and Arizona.

I will say that the Lake Los Carneros bird is a fancy-looking duck, and I enjoyed seeing it Saturday.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Joan Lentz joanlentz@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@...> wrote:

Hi All:
Just reporting that I eventually got myself over to see that gorgeous, wild Fulvous Whistling-Duck, looking a lot more untamed than the one I saw in ’06 at the Goleta Sewage Treatment Plant! It's still floating around amongst the reedy eastern inlet of Lake Los Carneros, accompanied from time to time by a nice male Blue-winged Teal.
Last week I was monitoring the hummingbirds at my bottlebrush tree here in my yard in Montecito, and they definitely stack up during the wind events (very obvious if you live below a north/south canyon as I do), and then, when the north winds die down, they move on. I have yet to see a Black-chinned or a Calliope, but plenty of Rufous. I was looking at the backs of the Rufous, and one individual definitely had a few scattered green feathers on its back, but not in a way that it could be confused with an Allen’s. I think the field guides can be misleading about this, when in reality, the green feathers on the back of an Allen’s are quite extensive in a way that this particular Rufous I observed did not have.
One last thing: a pair of Bewick’s Wrens has discovered my rubber wading boots, which are in an open paperbag on a table in my covered back porch. Constant humans going back & forth nearby in and out of my backdoor.. When I look in the boots, both are filled with nesting material, so I can’t tell if they are all the way back in the toe of the boot with the nest….or what? Will they persevere? Stay tuned!

Good birding,
Joan Lentz