Late report of a Yellow-headed Blackbird in Carpinteria

John Callender

I heard a few days ago from a beginning birdwatcher who saw an adult male Yellow-headed Blackbird outside her home on Friday, April 13. I believe this is near Monte Vista Park on the northeast side of Carpinteria. She was uncertain as to the ID; she thought it might be some kind of oriole. But when she showed me the photo she took I was both a) excited (because I haven't seen a Yellow-headed Blackbird this year) and b) amused, because even though her camera focused on the window screen rather than on the bird, you can totally tell what it is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johncallender/40722629675/in/dateposted-public/

She said she'd let me know if she sees the bird again. I plan to visit the park tomorrow morning to see if I can find any sign of it.

John Callender
Carpinteria