LLC Least Bittern

Nick Lethaby

All,

This doesn't seem to have got out on this list but around 10 AM, Jeff Hanson and David Levashaff refound the Least Bittern at LLC. They got the message out on the group me list. I shot over only to find it had disappeared. We were literally about to give up about 10 minutes when it reshowed well for about 10 minutes, perched in the open on the tules.

It showed at the same spot both time. Go to the E end of the dam and look across the lake roughly NNE. Just above the tules, the trees include a lone slender euc. The bird was in the tules just to the left of this tree. A scope is helpful to get good looks, but it is easily identifiable through binoculars.

It was cool and overcast this morning. My guess is that this bird is most likely to show at dawn and dusk.

Nick Lethaby

Goleta