Re: South Coast Sunday birds

Dave Compton

Off-list, I sent Wim a photo that appears to show a hind toe. But you can't tell if it has two, and my understanding is that they only clip one. As Wim suggests, it might be educational to know if it has both.

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...> wrote:
So does this pet shelduck have its toes intact? The past months I have been treating intact duck toes as an indication of wildness. But to be honest, I have no idea how common or uncommon this practice is for those keeping waterfowl.

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA
---
SBCO #376+2: Pine Warbler

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
This morning and early afternoon, I birded Campus Pt, Goleta Beach, and Devereux Slough in Goleta, and Laguna Blanca in Hope Ranch. I saw nothing terribly out of the ordinary, but here are a few notes:

CAMPUS PT: Still good numbers of Pacific Loons moving (almost 500 in an hour) and a decent showing of Elegant Terns (about 80). A Wandering Tattler was here briefly, and a flock of about 15 Surfbirds breezed through, which seems like a decent number for this date.

GOLETA BEACH: The Little Blue Heron continues in the mouth of Goleta Slough, at first adjacent to the easternmost parking lot, then working it's way east toward the mouth. It's now more gray-blue than white. Lots of Elegant Terns here, as well, along with a handful of Royals (and a couple of Caspian, if you're keeping a count of terns). I also counted 8 Bonaparte's Gulls.

DEVEREUX: A male Greater Scaup is still here, even though the place is nearly dry. The Great Blue Herons have four nests this year.

LAGUNA BLANCA. 18 Great-tailed Grackles here probably makes this about the larger breeding colony we currently have. Also here was a Ruddy Shelduck, no doubt an escapee, reported by David Kisner to me yesterday. Sure it's someone's pet, but it's a fancy-looking duck. It was hanging out in the southeast corner, both in the water and on the lawn with Mallards.