Re: 400 Club - What Introduced Birds Are Countable?

Dave Compton

One point of clarification: although the CBRC does not review records of condors, they do keep an official state bird list (see "Purposes," at https://californiabirds.org/CBRCpurposes.html). On this list, next to the entry for California Condor, is the notation "RI," which stands for " Reintroduction in progress - not yet established." This, of course, is the only species on the list with this notation.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM, Jamie Chavez <almiyi@...> wrote:
Hi Wim,

I was not aware of the condor being ABA countable. Is this across the range or only in certain areas? Of course, the CBRC doesn't review condor so this is one where maybe we defer to ABA counting rules.

Jamie

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 5:42 PM Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...> wrote:
Thanks Jamie.
Two notes:

1. Mississippi Kite is also a review species, so I’m waiting for the CBRC to formally approve that one the coming months.

2. California Condor has become ABA countable again. Does the CBRC have a different policy?

Wim

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 17:12 Jamie Chavez <almiyi@...> wrote:
I was asked this question today and I thought it might be a good subject to discuss so everyone participating is on the same page. First of all, there is no list police here so your lists are yours to maintain as you wish. No one is looking over your shoulder. What you put on your personal life or county list might differ from how you use and contribute to eBird for example where there is an interest on the part of eBird to record and monitor some introduced and exotic species that aren't really "countable" or established yet. By this, I mean species not established according to the CA Bird Records Committee or found in Paul Lehman's, The Birds of Santa Barbara County. However, both sources should be used as the authority when counting species toward the 400 Club so everyone is playing by the same set of rules.

There are some introduced species listed on the main CBRC state list that are found in other parts of the state and not in our area so if one turned up here it would almost certainly pertain to an escapee rather than part of the established population (Ring-necked Pheasant for example). You might also be surprised to learn that Mute Swan is not yet on the CBRC main list and is technically not countable but there are scores of these in eBird and I think we should keep track of these sightings locally, but shouldn't count toward a 400 total. Then there is the issue of a formerly "established" introduced bird, Chukar, once present in the eastern part of the county (barely), or the opposite situation with California Condor, formerly wild and countable but now (re)introduced but not yet established. Confusing right?

Here are the eight introduced species that are/were established in our area and considered countable toward the 400 Club: Chukar (formerly, east SBA only. Coastal birds don't count), Wild Turkey, Rock Pigeon, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Spotted Dove, European Starling, Scaly-breasted Munia, House Sparrow. California Condor would be countable if seen prior to removal and reintroduction. Birds seen now are not yet established but may become so one day. Any other exotics such as waterfowl, psittacids, misc. game birds and odd finches that are clearly not wild or established in SBA should not be included in your counts. This is one reason a few people only list totals as NIB- No Introduced Birds. Fulvous Whistling-Duck and Garganey are both CBRC Review species, and while some have made up their minds already one way or the other before the CBRC review is published, you can decide if these are countable.

Here is the official California state list maintained by the CBRC:

Always refer to Lehman for local S&D:

--
Jamie M. Chavez
Santa Maria, CA