From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io [mailto:main@sbcobirding.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Lindsay
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2018 10:58 AM
To: sbcobirding@groups.io
Subject: [sbcobirding] Goleta Beaches Saturday

Saturday, 8/4, 7-10:30 am

Decided to take advantage of the receding neap low tide this morning and see how the shorebirds are doing.

Devereaux, first pullout: A few least Sandpipers and Snowy Plovers along the channel.

Devereaux, Bridge to Nowhere: Bad day to be a small fish there today. I counted 28 Snowy Egrets, 25 Great Egrets, 8 Great Blue Heron, 9 Black-crowned Night Heron, and a Green Heron. I know these are all common species but I don't recall seeing so many in one place (all within 20 yards of the bridge).

COP and Plover Reserve: All the beaches I visited this morning were covered in washed up kelp and seaweed. As a result, all beaches had lots of swallows (Barn, Cliff and Northern Rough-winged). Barn were the most common here by far. Shorebirds are back in big numbers. Quite a few Black-bellied Plover, most still quite black bellied. A few Whimbrel. Lots of Semipalmated Plover (some in very sharp plumage), Sanderling, and Least Sandpiper. Two Black Turnstone at the point. One Dunlin and One Western Sandpiper were seen. At the preserve the Snowy Plover were numerous including many downy young. There were 8 plastic Least Tern decoys nestled in the dunes but I didn't see any actual terns while I was there. Almost no birds out in the ocean.

Goleta Beach Park: The Little Blue Heron was the only such bird feeding near the slough outlet at the east end of the park A few herons and Egrets were up in the nests with the cormorants. No Reddish Egret while I was there.

East Campus Beach and Campus Point: Lots of activity. I counted 20 Greater Yellowlegs on the walk to Campus Point from Goleta Beach. There were also 3 Wandering Tattler and three Black turnstone along this stretch. Almost all the Swallows here were Cliff. Included in this stretch of beach were many Semipalmated Sandpipers and Least Sandpipers. The rocks at the point had two more Black Turnstone, another Wandering Tattler, and a very spotted Spotted Sandpiper. The lagoon was virtually empty of birds save a few cormorants perched on waterside snags. The beach had a very few Heerman's Gull. All other gulls I saw this morning were Western.

So it looks like shorebird action is continuing to increase along the south coast. It will be interesting to see how good it gets in the weeks ahead and I'm looking forward to land birds starting to pick up soon.

That's all,

Rob Lindsay