Reddish Egret, Ocean Park

Dave Compton

A Reddish Egret was on the island at the Santa Ynez River estuary (Ocean Park) this morning. The bird was distant, and it was a bit foggy, so looks were not great. But it's probably a juvenile. The bill was all dark, and you could see a slight pinkish wash on the head and at the base of the neck. I thought I got a hint of pale edges to the wing coverts, but I was not 100% sure.

Nothing else of particular note. Conditions are still as Nick Lethaby reported last week. I counted about 20 Least Terns in the air at one time at the mouth, and I conservatively entered 25 in my eBird checklist. The variety of shorebirds is not greatly different from last week. But the species list was slightly different, and totals were probably a little down overall.