[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Solitary Sandpiper (1 report)
- Mew Gull (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 report)

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 22, 2018 13:20 by Anonymous eBirder
- Santa Maria Mesa Road Ponds, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8837715,-120.279007&ll=34.8837715,-120.279007
- Comments: "Continuing for past two weeks"

Mew Gull (Larus canus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 22, 2018 11:35 by Cuyler Stapelmann
- Mission Creek outflow (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4127959,-119.6869361&ll=34.4127959,-119.6869361
- Comments: "Small white-headed gull with a notably thin and short mostly dark bill (i.e., no pink in bill), light gray mantle, grayish speckling on the nape, gray smudging around the eyes, indistinct leg coloration (i.e., not yellow), and buffy primaries. I would put this as a first summer bird that is molting into second winter plumage. I considered other species of gull, particularly other small dark headed gulls, like Sabine's and Bonaparte's, and ring-billed, but they obviously did not fit. This bird was not associating with the congregation of shorebirds, gulls, and terns at the outflow proper; this bird was a little to the east, between the two outflows. I did not take any photos."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (4)
- Reported Aug 22, 2018 18:29 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3961231,-119.5283666&ll=34.3961231,-119.5283666
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. 1 adult, 3 juveniles. Feeding on crabs in the basin near Ash Avenue."

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported Aug 22, 2018 08:00 by Marjorie Erickson
- Sedgwick Reserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Comments: "Seen by all birders. Had squared-off tale and seemed smaller than Cooper’s Hawk. "