Immature Vermilion Flycatcher in Carpinteria Creek

John Callender

After getting a tip from Joan Lentz about a bird found by Larry Ballard and seen by her and him this morning, I was lucky enough to see an immature Vermilion Flycatcher in Carpinteria Creek around 12:30 today. The bird was perching on logs in the creekbed and in the branches of the vegetation on the east side of the creek directly opposite the wastewater treatment plant south of 6th Street. I had good views of the bird by walking along the narrow concrete ledge between the creek and the treatment plant fence.

The bird I saw was a close match for Sibley's illustration of a 1st-year female, except that the yellow wash was confined to a small patch under the wing; I didn't see yellow extending to the undertail coverts.

After about 15 minutes the bird flew south along the creek, perching briefly on the railroad bridge before continuing into the campground on the west side of the lagoon. That was the last I saw of it.

John Callender
Carpinteria