Re: Warbling Vireo or?? Ocean Beach Park

Dave Compton

I'm a little uneasy about the disheveled appearance that Jim notes, at least in terms of judging the color of the under parts. Also, I'm not sure about the head shape as shown in these photos. But I think Peter points out, and Jim reiterates, several good reasons to consider this a Philly Vireo. Also, I do think "vireo w dark lores 2" is fairly convincing in showing yellow across the base of the throat, including the center (I'm less sure about the center of the breast and am slightly concerned that other parts might be as yellow or yellower than the throat and breast). To other points mentioned supporting Philly (contrasting dark cap and primary coverts), I would add that photos 3 and 5 appear to show a tail that is too short for Warbling.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 6:42 PM, James Pike <jimpike444@...> wrote:
Hi Peter,

Despite the wet, disheveled appearance of this bird, we can still see that yellowy coloration extends all the way across the chest and base of the throat. In combination with a relatively dark blue-gray crown that contrasts with a green mantle, the round rather than broad, flat shape of the crown,  the decidedly short bill, and the crisp dark lores and anterior supercilium, this adds up to an identification of Philadelphia Vireo in my opinion.

Jim Pike
Huntington Beach

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 4:53 PM Peter Schneekloth via Groups.Io <peterschneekloth=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would love comments on this Vireo seen this morning at Ocean Beach Park. It likely remains in Warbling bucket but dark lores, dark cap, dark primary coverts (this is mentioned in Nat Geo 6th edition) force a look. Yellow on throat and underside very hard to judge because feathers are wet and matted. I spent quite a bit of time trying to re-find the bird but to no avail. There was a constant turnover of small passerines which included Townsends, Yellow, Yellow-rumped Warblers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55934026@N05/44676586782/in/dateposted-public/

Peter Schneekloth
Buellton