Blackpoll Warbler and Goleta birding

Dave Compton

I hit some spots in Goleta this morning. I was short on time, so didn't give any of them the time they deserved.

The birdiest spot was the lerpy eucalyptus grove that makes up most of the Winchester One Open Space in northwestern Goleta. Lots of Wilson's and Yellow Warblers, and lots of Western Tanagers. The best bird by far was a BLACKPOLL WARBLER reported here previously. Nothing else more interesting than a Black-throated Gray Warbler. But we definitely should keep track of this place since it's attracting so many birds.

The lerpy red gums south of the swale that runs through Evergreen Open Space had a few birds, but nothing of note that I saw today. A couple of Black-throated Gray Warblers were the best.

Lake Los Carneros appears to be holding very few migrants of any kind at the moment. I walked the entire route around the lake and the only land migrants I saw were a single Wilson's Warbler in the northeast, a Yellow Warbler in the parking lot, and a couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers in the northeastern euc grove. The shorebirds are pretty much gone, since you can now walk to the area they were frequenting. Only a couple of Greater Yellowlegs and a couple of dowitchers remain.

Devereux Slough is sad. The only shorebirds I saw were Red-necked Phalaropes, 30 or so of which were south of the bridge. There was shorebird habitat farther down, near the mouth, so that area might be worth checking out.