Re: Romero Canyon hawkwatch this afternoon

Dave Compton

Interesting. For some reason, I was only able to see photo 1 last night on my phone. Is that really the same bird as the light one with streaks in the later photos? That one shows absolutely no dark tips to the flight feathers. Did you see that feature in person?

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 8:24 PM, John Callender <jbc@...> wrote:
I hiked up the Romero Canyon trail to the hawkwatch site above Bella Vista Drive this afternoon and watched from about 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

I had one flyby of a possible Broad-winged Hawk. The bird was below eye level and most of my photos only showed its upper side, but it angled a bit toward the end to give a view of the underparts. I'd be grateful for input on the ID. Photos are in this list:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48680660

Besides the hawkwatch proper, I also counted birds on the hike up and the hike back down:

Hike up: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48677818
Hike down: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48681982

Total raptor counts across all three lists are below. I tried to avoid double-counting, but the accipiter count may be a bit inflated since they were flying both east and west and I counted them both ways.

Broad-winged (?): 1
Sharp-shinned/Coopers: 3
Sharp-shinned: 16
Cooper's: 9
Red-tailed: 4
Northern Harrier: 1
Red-shouldered Hawk: 1 (heard calling from the residential area below)
American Kestral: 3
Turkey Vulture: 12

Thanks.

John Callender