Santa Maria area birding

Peter Gaede

Hi All:

Wes Fritz and I checked a few areas in the Santa Maria Valley today specifically looking for fields with suitable habitat for shorebirds and pipits. We found a nice flooded field on the east side of Black Road just south of Stowell. We’re guessing this area might continue to be good for a couple of weeks if irrigation continues. In this field we had a nice group of foraging dowitchers, snipe and yellowlegs, with a few Dunlin and seven Pectoral Sandpipers in the mix. Also 13 Greater White-fronted Geese. This will probably be a good spot to continue checking for something interesting to show up.

Peter Gaede