Re: New County eBird Reviewers Announcement

Cuyler Stapelmann

Hi,

So this is a little off topic, but it is related to eBird data so I'm going to use this thread as a segue. From what I can gather, there is currently no way to filter observations in an eBird species map to those observations with breeding codes. The only way I've been able to do this is to download eBird data in a tabular format and import it into a Geographic Information System (GIS), then use queries in GIS to filter by breeding codes. However, downloading tabular data for a county in eBird often exceeds row limits in Excel, so unless someone is operating database software this data is not easy to view in either a table or a map/GIS. I understand that there are local sources of information for breeding bird data (i.e., breeding bird atlas, studies, etc.), but it would seem that the eBird platform would be a great way to supplement local sources with continuously updated data.

Is there a way to do this within the eBird website? If not, is anyone aware of plans by the Cornell Lab to make this possible? The California Natural Diversity Database is great, but it lacks records for certain special-status species (i.e., brant). Breeding bird data is probably the most valuable information eBird has to offer to the consulting world, but it is not easy to access. I am interested to know if anyone has any insights. Thanks.

Cuyler
SB

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM Kay Regester <kayregester@...> wrote:
You guys are the best!  Thanks for all you do.  Kay
Kay Regester
Ventura, Ca

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:27 AM Jamie Chavez <almiyi@...> wrote:
All,

I wanted to share the news that recently two additional reviewers for SBA have been added: Mark Holmgren and Nick Lethaby have both volunteered to be eBird reviewers for our area. This territory includes the county mainland and the Channel Islands within SBA. Along with Peter Gaede and myself as continuing reviewers and Wim van Dam as our county Hotspot editor, we have a really solid team in place to review and manage much of the eBird checklist data that comes in.

eBird receives its fair share of criticism while at the same time provides birding data like no other system available which is why it has become so popular so having the added help will be a huge benefit to those of you who participate in eBird and rely on the information. I occasionally receive email outside of the eBird review process when someone discovers erroneous information such as obvious misidentifications, high counts without comments, distance and location issues, etc., and now there will be additional local expertise to handle these problems. We ask that you continue to notify one of us when you find such problems so we can address it. We are all users of eBird (volunteering as reviewers) so we want it to be as accurate as possible. This is a team effort and we also thank you for your participation and accuracy which makes our job easier! Thanks again to Nick and Mark for helping out.

Good birding,
--
Jamie M. Chavez
Santa Maria, CA