East Pinery Road Oct 24

Florence Sanchez

I hiked East Pinery Road this morning in what has become an annual ritual to find an Evening Grosbeak in the County.  This year, there is also the possibility of finding Pinyon Jays in our mountains as well.  I struck out on both of these remote possibilities, but it still was a fine morning on the mountain.  I had 5 species of Woodpecker and ALL THREE species of Nuthatches, among other things.  After an absence for all of last year, the Pygmy Nuts are back!  I had a flock of about 12  in one of their past regular spots along the road.

I also had at least 10 Fox Sparrows.  Not all could be seen well, but those I got a good look at included 4 Sooty Fox Sparrows and one "Slaty" (gray back, reddish tail and wings, and finer streaking on the breast, but NOT the think-billed form).  One other glimpsed VERY briefly might have been a Thick-billed:  it appeared to have a large pale bill, but this might have been an aberration of the light.