eBird Breeding Bird Data (was New County eBird Reviewers Announcement)

Jamie Chavez

I wanted to reply to Cuyler's comment below because it deserves some follow-up. Cuyler has found a good way to mine the information but I must disagree with the statement that, "Breeding bird data is probably the most valuable information eBird has to offer". This might be true IF the data were vetted but sadly it is not. eBirders can plug-in any breeding bird code they wish to at any time of the year for any species. Try opening a personal list in January and see how you can make an edit to enter "Nest with Eggs" for any species on your list. That is just beyond stupid.

Review of BB data in checklists is not a function (currently) of the eBird review process, therefore, 99.9% of all breeding bird code entries ever entered have never been scrutinized for accuracy. I've seen all sorts of incorrect uses of BB codes. Since this data is not available as an output tool it doesn't really matter, but I've never understood why eBird would permit this if there wasn't a mechanism in place to validate what people are entering. If they ever do start using this gold mine it needs to be cleaned in a major way first.

Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Cuyler Stapelmann <cuylerstapelmann@...> wrote:
Breeding bird data is probably the most valuable information eBird has to offer to the consulting world, but it is not easy to access. I am interested to know if anyone has any insights. Thanks.

Cuyler
SB_,_

--
Jamie M. Chavez