Feruginous Hawk

Phila Rogers

Dear Friends:

I am late in posting this because I was unsure of the identity of the bird.  It was a large buteo (larger than our resident Red-shouldered Hawk) with a very white breast sittting briefly on the top of one of our Canary pines.  My attention was drawn to its presence by an hysterical group of crows.  Oak Park is certainly not its normal habitat, so I am assuming it was simply passing through.

Yesterday with a small group from my retirement community, I visited the almost birdless Carpenteria marsh.  We were fortunate, though, to have long looks at three Yellow-crowned Night-Herons.  The adult stood almost stationary in the shallow water while two brown juveniles walked slowly along the muddy edge.

Phila Rogers