[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Chestnut-collared Longspur (1 report)
- Clay-colored Sparrow (1 report)
- Bullock's Oriole (1 report)
- Nashville Warbler (1 report)

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Dec 21, 2018 09:00 by Barbara Millett
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Bright yellow belly and breast. Bill longer than Cassin's Kingbird."

Chestnut-collared Longspur (Calcarius ornatus) (1)
- Reported Dec 21, 2018 09:15 by Wim van Dam
- Happy Canyon @ Alisos Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6228964,-120.0018597&ll=34.6228964,-120.0018597
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "This sparrow/sparrow-like bird was in the flock of 80+ Horned Larks feeding on the recently plowed field at the SE of the Happy Canyon Rd x Alisos Rd crossing. I heard and recorded the diagnostic kiddle call as it was flying as part of this flock. It was smaller and more chunky than the Horned Larks with a short but pointy bill. Among the Horned Larks it was walking slowly through the field in a crouching manner. It never perched or hopped and was less agitated/active than the Horned Larks. It was visibly eating the seeds from the field.

This was a light gray/beige colored bird with noticeable but delicate streaking. Most notable were: the dark brown/black-ish auricular edge and malar stripe, the light colored throat with light streaking below on the chest, the brown streaking on the back, and the dark brown stripes on its crown. I did not see any other rufous or black markings. I did not register the bill or leg color, nor the primary projection. Overall this bird looked like a pale/washed out Vesper Sparrow without the rufous coverts. I ruled out Vesper Sparrow based on the paleness of the streaking, its longspur-like behavior, and the kiddle call, which I heard several times and managed to record (at 2.5 seconds in the attached file)."

Clay-colored Sparrow (Spizella pallida) (1)
- Reported Dec 21, 2018 07:11 by John Callender
- River Park (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6545154,-120.4344893&ll=34.6545154,-120.4344893
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Feeding with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows on the lawn near the southwest shore of the pond. Spizella sparrow much smaller than the nearby White-crowneds, crisp face pattern, buffy supercilium, dark mustache mark, gray nape."

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1)
- Reported Dec 20, 2018 12:51 by Mark Holmgren
- UCSB, Davidson Library, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4129672,-119.8456116&ll=34.4129672,-119.8456116
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Both orioles present at Building 406, the Chicano Studies building."

Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla) (2)
- Reported Dec 21, 2018 11:29 by Thomas Turner
- Tipus behind 6509 Pardall, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.412829,-119.854203&ll=34.412829,-119.854203
- Comments: "Gray head. Yellow throat and underparts. White feathers around legs. Saw both at the same time. "