Cooperative Townsend's Warbler on State St. and Alice Keck Park comes to life after rain

Dika Golovatchoff

This morning as I was walking past the Divine Inspiration gallery at 1534 State st. as the return part of my daily walk dog walk I was very surprised to see a Townsend's Warbler foraging in the rose bushes in front of the gallery.  I did not have a camera so I walked the rest of the way home and got my camera and car.  I was amazed to find this cooperative bird still there waiting for me, and was able to get a few photos.  I have seen fewer Townsend's this year than before and this was the last place I would have ever expected to see one - that stayed around for at least 25 minutes.  (He has actually eating insects from the rose leaves as you can see in one of the images).

Then I birded Alice Keck Park for a half hour.  The rain had recently stopped and the grass was wet and full of birds, (Yellow-rumped Audubon's, White crowned sparrows,etc.).  Around the creek below the tipu trees I had a Hermit Thrush,
a Common Yellowthroat, a Song and a Lincoln's Sparrow, as well as a very active Ruby-crowned Kinglet in the loropetalum shrub that was even showing its ruby crown.  I have seen more of these birds than ever before. There was also a Western Bluebird, several Acorn Woodpeckers, a Northern Mockingbird, and an Allen's Hummingbird.  I did not even go near the pond with its ducks and gulls.

Some photos are posted on my Flickr site at: